Monday, June 13, 2011

2 kids+1 beach ball+1 ceiling fan=1 big uh-oh

I'm downstairs this morning, eating my daily bowl of oatmeal and watching the news. I had just sent the kids upstairs to play (for some reason they always want to watch the news with me). I could hear them laughing from one of their rooms, when all of a sudden, I heard a big thunk, heard something loud hit the ceiling, and then heard a very loud banging sound. Not good sounds but there were so screams or cries for help. I ran up the stairs anyway to find my two sweeties standing in the hallway outside Z's room with their eyes as big as basketballs. My eyes followed their eyes to see Z's ceiling fan hanging at an angle, missing two blades with the other blades banging against the ceiling as they were slowly coming to a stop. As I reached the top of the stairs and the children started filling me in on what had happened, the three of us jumped at the same time as we watched the broken ceiling fan crash to the floor shattering light bulbs everywhere. Come to find out, the two of them were playing with a beach ball in the house. One of them tossed it in the air, it got caught above the blades of the ceiling fan, snapped one blade off, Z ran from the room, snapped another blade off, J ran from the room flipping off the light switch as he went, and then I joined the story. As Z said, "That was freaking me out to death!" and J said, "I was so scared my legs were shaking." I'm just thankful they got out of the room before either of them were crushed under the fan or impaled by a piece of it. I'm also thankful J was smart enough to flip the switch off on the wall.

Apparently, it looks like the screws were stripped. The fan was so heavy, I had a hard time maneuvering it downstairs. I don't think it was properly supported either. For all I know it could be original to the house because it was the actual metal on the blade that snapped.

What a morning and it's not even 9 o'clock!

Potater Kid Lesson of the Day: Do not toss balls in the house....even beach balls! I think they really got the lesson this time :)

Dead fan's new home in the recycle bin

What's left

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment