Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Perks


Okay, so when you live off of one income, and it's not a very big one, you learn to make-do a LOT.  You buy cheaper stuff because even though it doesn't last as long and may not be as comfortable, you make-do because you think about all the stuff you could buy for the cost of that one more expensive item.  My clothing definitely took a hit.  I have a lot of cheap uncomfortable shoes, $5 Target holiday t-shirts, whatever clothing item I could find on deep sale (it didn't matter that I may not have absolutely love it or it didn't fit quite right...it was the right price and I didn't have money to waste). 

But it's not just clothing, I don't think my kids know what steak tastes like.  If it's not ground meat or chicken, we don't have it in our freezer.  The occasional pork loin or roast was a splurge.  You don't go out to eat but once in a blue moon and you eat whatever is less expensive on the menu and you never order a drink because Lordy-be, they are expensive and you'd have to figure out what you could live without come the end of the pay period.  You also don't vacation unless it's going to see a family member.  We would splurge every now and then and buy a $20 pair of Reefs but when they last 5 years, it doesn't seem so big. 

I could keep going but I think you get the picture.  Our life changed drastically when we decided I would stay home and I've never regreted it.  God has always taken such good care of us and I am so thankful.  I've loved our life and I love that I know how to be frugal.  I am not tied to material items or the latest look like so many others are.

With that said, I have to admit....it's kind-of nice to have a little extra money again.  We've got a lot of saving to do after our financial crisis years ago and a lot of put-off repairs but at least we have a way to replacing the money spent again.  This might seem minor to so many but I almost felt giddy when I bought a bottle of my beloved Olay-BodyRibbons Bath Wash the other day.  I've had my eye on it for at least a year (my mom has some in her guest shower) but I wouldn't spend the $6 to buy my own.  I also have been on a quest to purge myself of cheap uncomfortable shoes.  I bought the above ones to replace some painful cheapies.  I still felt a little guilty....they weren't the cheapest, even on sale.  Oh, well, I still plan to be frugal but a little splurge every now and then is definitely a perk of the new job.

Oh, yeah, another perk...I'm on my feet so much now, I've actually lost almost 10 pounds in the last month.  Totally unexpected but totally awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment