Saturday, October 22, 2011

Party for a good cause


I've never been one to host a jewelry party.  If you know me, you know I wear basically the exact same jewery everyday and I like it that way, but I do appreciate pretty necklaces and bracelets.  Well, for about a year I've known about the Apparent Project.  It is an awesome mission to help men and women in Haiti.  They teach them a craft and then they sell the items so these men and women can support their families and keep their children.  There is an orphan crisis in Haiti and many of these orphans have parents but the parents have no way to support their child so they drop them off thinking they are doing what is best.  They do not want to give up their child.  They give them up out of love.  The sad thing is, the orphanages would make most Americans cringe.  They are not good places, terribly overcrowded, and desperate for funds themselves.  I have some friends that are over there and this is something that is very dear to their hearts.  Instead of helping the ophanages, why don't we help the parents and maybe prevent the child from ever becoming an orphan.  Equip them with the skills and education they need to keep their family together.

So here's my part, I'm going to host a party through the Apparent Project.  I make NO money from this.  The only person that profits is the Haitian mother or father that created the item purchased.  I don't have an exact date yet, but I hope you will come.  There will be beaded jewelry, Christmas decorations, metal artwork, etc.  The items are really very beautiful and I can't wait to see what all the ship to me.  I hope you'll try to be a part of this amazing mission.  If you click on the title of this post, it will take you directly to the apparent project.  You can read all about their goal and see a sampling of some of the items these men and women create.  Just so you know, there will be a lot more options at the party.

1 comment:

  1. Have you had the party yet? If not, let me know when and where...

    Marcella :)

    ReplyDelete