Saturday, February 11, 2012

Valentine's Day Prep

If you know me, you know I cannot settle for store bought Valentines that come in a box (not that there is anything wrong with that). I like to get my creative juices flowing and doing something unique every year. We've had airplanes made from candy, crayons melted into heart shapes (not an easy one), painted/glittered salt dough heart necklaces, Lego star wars photo valentines, and I'm sure there are more I just can't remember right now. Most of my ideas I've found online and adjusted them to make them my own. This year, I needed something fast, so when I found this idea, I fell in love with it. Cheap, easy, and the kids love them! They can't wait for school on Tuesday to pass them out. 
Here are some tips if you want to try:
Take a photo in front of a neutral background.  When they hold out their arm, have them aim it a little bit towards you.  This makes their hand bigger and you're not having to put the lollipop on the edge  of the photo (didn't do that in J's).
 I used Picnic in Picassa to edit my photos, add border, and print.   I did a pretty cruddy job taking off their names before I posted, but I was in a hurry.  I just blurred them.  I also go to fotoflexer.com to edit my photos a lot.  It's free and there are a lot of different options that you have to pay for with other sites.

Send them off early so you don't have to pay much for them. I used 1 hour but it wasn't the cheapest way to go.

Place good quality tape right behind the hand after you slide in the lollipop. It not only helps hold it in place but helps keep the photo from tearing.
It took me about 15 to 20 minutes to assemble around 50 of them.
So there's my Valentine prep so far.  Tomorrow, I'll be making cookies for teachers, neighbors, and coworkers.  I can't wait to show you what I've conjured up for the grands and great-grands, but that will have to wait since they read my blog too. :)
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment