Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Does God decide who gets to be a Garden Fairy?


Just before dinner, the kids finished watching The Princess and the Frog. As any good teacher/mom would do, at dinner, I was quizzing J on the main idea of the movie. This got us into a conversation about how we can't just wish on a star or pray for something to happen and expect God to just "poof" and it happens. We have to do our share and work towards our goals. I used several examples of how God has given people certain gifts, interests, and talents to help them achieve those goals. For example, I believe I was suppose to be a teacher because I've always had a love for children, a desire to help them succeed, and the ability to help kids understand various topics. I believe God game me those abilities but I still had to go to school and put forth a lot of work to become a teacher. We used several other examples of doctors, preachers, astronaunts, etc. J was in the midst of pondering what it was that God might want him to do when he grows up, when Z (who had been silent this entire time) piped in with a huge grin on her face and said, "I think God wants me to be a Garden Fairy!" Lesson of the Day: Let a little girl be a little girl. They grow up way too fast. Let them enjoy the fairy tale while it's so "real"!

No comments:

Post a Comment